By Richard Whatmore,Brian Young
A significant other to highbrow History presents an in-depth survey of the perform of highbrow background as a self-discipline. 40 newly-commissioned chapters show off best worldwide examine with extensive insurance of each point of highbrow heritage because it is presently practiced.
- Presents an in-depth survey of modern examine and perform of highbrow history
- Written in a transparent and available demeanour, designed for a global audience
- Surveys a number of the methodologies that experience arisen and the most historiographical debates that predicament highbrow historians
- Pays particular cognizance to modern controversies, offering readers with the most up-tp-date review of the field
- Demonstrates the ways that highbrow historians have contributed to the background of technological know-how and drugs, literary reports, artwork heritage and the historical past of political thought
Named Outstanding educational name of 2016 by way of Choice Magazine, a book of the yank Library Association
Read or Download A Companion to Intellectual History (Wiley Blackwell Companions to World History) PDF
Best historical studies books
Daniel Lerner's 1958 publication The Passing of conventional Society used to be vital in shaping chilly War–era principles in regards to the use of mass media and tradition to advertise social and financial development in postcolonial countries. in accordance with a learn of the effectiveness of propaganda within the heart East, Lerner’s publication claimed that publicity to American media messages might inspire “traditional” humans within the postcolonial countries to turn into “modern” via cultivating empathy for American principles, items, and methods of existence.
This edited assortment is a huge contribution to the present improvement of a ‘material flip’ within the social sciences and humanities. It does so by way of exploring new understandings of the way energy is made up and exercised via reading the function of fabric infrastructures within the association of kingdom strength and the function of fabric cultural practices within the association of colonial different types of governance.
This e-book analyzes the typical narrative living in American background textbooks released within the first 1/2 the nineteenth century. That tale, what the writer identifies because the American “creation” or “origins” narrative, is concurrently tested as either ancient and “mythic” in composition. It deals a clean, multidisciplinary standpoint on a permanent point of those works.
What's gender and who has it? historical past, thought and gender are inextricably associated, yet how precisely do they healthy jointly? How dohistorians use theories approximately gender to jot down historical past? during this jargon-free advent, Susan Kingsley Kent provides a student-friendly consultant to the origins, conceptual framework, subjectmatter and techniques of gender heritage.
- Pueblo y nación. Homenaje a José Álvarez Junco (Spanish Edition)
- Non-Representational Geographies of Therapeutic Art Making: Thinking Through Practice
- Slavery, Race and American History: Historical Conflict, Trends and Method, 1866-1953
- The Spy Who Tried to Stop a War: Katharine Gun and the Secret Plot to Sanction the Iraq Invasion
- Emotion, Ritual and Power in Europe, 1200-1920: Family, State and Church (Palgrave Studies in the History of Emotions)
- The Greek World After Alexander 323–30 BC (The Routledge History of the Ancient World)
Extra resources for A Companion to Intellectual History (Wiley Blackwell Companions to World History)